Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Outside Lands Music Festival: Day 3: Wilco, ALO, Andrew Bird, Stars, Broken Social Scene


Day 3 of the Outside Lands Festival. The headliner was Jack Johnson, but I went to see Wilco. Nothing against Jack, I just listen to Wilco more. I got there real early to get good seats, and they were supposed to open the gates at 11. No. An hour later, they open up. But, I got good seats. Front row.
The Animal Liberation Orchestra (ALO) started off the show, and let me tell you; they are their own Jack
Johnson. No surprise. Jack and ALO are good friends. (above left corner) Zach Gill pounds on the keyboard. Their music puts a twist to the easygoing rock of Jack Johnson.
Then Stars came on. The band certainly isn't ALO or Jack Johnson. They have a hard rock, almost punk-y sound. They're also pop, electronic, new wave, and alternative. None of their music sounds the same.
(right) Amy Millan rocks out and Torquil Campbell toots.-->
After Stars came Andrew Bird, who has a sound of his own. He is amazing. He may be one man, but he can do a lot. He will play a note or a melody, and then the speakers, or whatever, will keep repeating it. Like an endless loop. Anyway, he's awesome. He's a folk/rock orchestra all by himself.
(Below) Andrew Bird sings and plays.

Broken Social Scene followed Andrew, and. They. Rocked. Period. I had heard about these guys, but never really listened to them. I was too occupied with other music. But trust me. I'm getting more of their music. Their last song was an awesome song. They had everybody scream as loud as they could. Sounded awesome. (Below left) BSS on stage.

Finally came my favorite band of the day. Wilco. I've been listening to them since I was, like... for a long time. Anyway, they rock. They have an independent sound; they can be rockin' or playing softly. They have been playing two new songs on their tour, "Sunny Feeling" and One Wing." Sadly, they did not play it at this concert. They definitely needed an hour or two more to play. Oh well. I still had front row seats.
I put two pictures up, one to show Wilco and one showing Glenn Kotche, the drummer for Wilco, being goofy.
(Below left) Jeff Tweedy and Pat Sansone solo together on "Impossible Germany." (Below right) Glenn Kotche being crazy.

Well, this ends my Outside Lands Festival segment. Support these bands by buying their music. Some sample are below.




Lady Loop - ALO
The First Five Times - Stars
Heretics - Andrew Bird
Almost Crimes (Radio Kills Remix) - Broken Social Scene
Impossible Germany - Wilco

No comments: